Candles burn at varying rates and are often times close to decorations or combustible holders, all of which are usually combustible. One must remember that the wax itself is a fuel and if it is allowed to spread or soak into another material you will then have a much larger candle.
There has been a tremendous amount of testing done with candles and almost without exception the candles, when left to burn, create a very hazardous situation and lead to the ignition of nearby combustibles.
- Never leave a candle left unattended.
- Use candles properly and keep them away from combustibles, which include flammable liquids and aerosols.
- Remember, children are curious and often times want to play with the candle wax. This puts them in a dangerous position to get burned and can make them feel like it is okay to play with fire.
- Place candles where they will not be knocked down or blown over and out of reach of pets and young children.
- Always keep burning candles up high, out of the reach of children. If you have children in your home, store candles, matches and lighters out of their sight and reach.